Our Daily Dive is published, mostly on a daily basis and serves as a roundup for everything going on in the NAIA Hoops World. News, Notes, top performers, rumor mills and more are highlighted in our Daily Dive segments!
Did Something BIG happen last night?
- As a matter of fact, two BIG things happened last night as we saw NAIA well represented with a men’s (UT-Southern) and women’s (William Jessup) win over NCAA D1 opponents!
- For UT Southern, this is their second straight season with a win over a D1 opponent. Last year they knocked off Samford 82-80. Samford would go on to win 20+ games and a share of the SoCon regular season title!
- This happens every year, but is always a reminder that NAIA basketball is really, really good!
Highlights From Yesterday’s Games
- In our Game of the Day: rv Florida College knocked off Thomas (GA) 83-68.
- Keegan Zoller led the way with 17pts in the win.
- Jarvis Brown had 32pts for the NightHawks in the loss.
- Speaking of 30pt performances
- Ryan Archey (UNOH) dropped 31pts in UNOH’s 83-73 loss to Taylor (IN).
- Demarius Boyd had 33pts in Cumberland (TN) 103-93 loss to Bryan (TN).
- Matthew Stilwill (Briar Cliff) went off for 35pts last night in their 94-80 win over Dakota State.
- The reigning River States Conference POY, Jo Valrie, started his season off with a 20pt/12reb double-double.
- Joining Valrie with double-doubles last night were:
- Joshua Scott (Point) 12/12
- Lamarius Lillard (IU-Northwest) 10/15
- Jamari Bostic (Bryan) 17/16
- Patrick Ryan (Menlo) 14/11
- Raymond Reece (Philander Smith) 20/12
- Deshawn Corprew (Central Baptist) 11/10
- Hunter Lyman (Valley City St.) 15/19
- Last season, we saw a ton of guys go down with season ending injuries. It was good to see a few of them back yesterday! Deshawn Corprew (Central Baptist), Jacob Fierst (Clarke) and Erik Fraser (Oregon Tech)!
In Case You Missed It
- Our Podcast moved to YouTube this season! Season 4, Ep. 1 is now LIVE! Do us a favor and please like the video and subscribe to our channel! We have a couple new segments that we will be rolling out as well! Including some live features down the road!
- Here is our preseason magazine in case you missed it!
- The Top 25 Coaches Poll was released this week. Here is our breakdown article.
- And finally, earlier this week we released an article on Indiana Wesleyan Head Coach, Greg Tonagel, and how he is just one win away from becoming the fastest coach to 500 wins in NAIA history! He will also become the youngest head coach (42 yrs old) at all levels of college basketball to reach 500 wins! The 9th rated Wildcats tip off today at 6:30pm vs 24th ranked Indiana Tech.
- Our first Top 25 matchup of the season tips off at 6:30 CT today as No. 9 Indiana Wesleyan travels to Fort Wayne, IN to take on No. 24 Indiana Tech. This will be our NAIA Hoops Report Game of the Day!
- Today’s full slate begins at 11:30am CT as John Melvin takes on LSU Alexandria.
- If you are able, there is a REALLY under the radar game going on at 1pm CT today as rv Jamestown heads to Montana to take on Rocky Mountain! Jamestown loses National POY, Mason Walters, but should still be pretty good with the pieces they have back. Rocky comes into season with a really good squad. They, rightfully so, have some hype coming into the season and this should be a fun game!
- Not 100% sure we will have our schedules and links article out before first tip, but it should be out Noon-Noon thrity-ish!