NorthStar Weekly Review
By Jake Pommerer
2020-21 MEN’S BASKETBALL STANDINGS
|RV Valley City||1-0||8-1||—||Won 8|
|Mayville State||1-0||4-1||—||Won 2|
|Dakota State||1-0||2-6||—||Lost 3|
|Dickinson State||0-1||3-8||1||Lost 6|
(RV) Valley City (8-1 1-0 NSAA)-Went 1-0 over the holiday break with an 85-63 win over Oak Hills, Chris Thompson led the way with 19 points for the Vikings.
Mayville State (4-1 1-0 NSAA)-Idle over the holiday break.
Dakota State (2-6 1-0 NSAA)-Went 0-3 over the holiday break. The Trojans fell in overtime to Briar Cliff 79-75, Josh McGreal led all scorers with 22 points. Dak. State then fell to 18th ranked Dakota Wesleyan 69-60, McGreal led the Trojans with 14 points. In their final contest during the holiday break Dakota State fell to Peru State 67-65, McGreal again was the Trojans leading scorer with 18 points.
Bellevue 9-9 2-1 NSAA)-Went 3-0 over the holiday break including two NSAA wins. The Bruins knocked off Waldorf 83-79, Lewis Hayes led the Bruins with 20 points. Bellevue also got the win over Viterbo 84-69, Jemeil King led all scorers with 21 points. In non-conference action the Bruins defeated Bethany (Kan.) 73-59, Hayes led all scorers with 17 points.
Viterbo (3-3 0-1 NSAA)-Returned to action after a long shutdown dropping an NSAA contest to Bellevue 84-69, Jack Monis led the V-Hawks with 20 points.
Dickinson State (3-8 0-1 NSAA)- Went 0-2 over the holiday break losing a pair of contests on the road to 7th ranked Lewis and Clark State, the BlueHawks just about pulled the upset night one falling 89-85, Bryce Knox led all scorers with 36 points. The second game wasn’t as close Dickinson fell 86-68, Trey Hladky led Dickinson with 15 points.
Presentation (3-11 0-1 NSAA)-Went 0-2 over the holiday break first falling to (RV) Northwestern College 98-64, Qaiayoom Olanlege led a shorthanded Saints team with 20 points. PC then opened 2021 with a 87-65 loss to Hastings, Jackson Becker led the Saints with 15 points.
Waldorf (1-8 0-1 NSAA)-Went 0-2 over the holiday break falling in NSAA action to Bellevue 83-79, Quincy Minor Jr. led all scorers with 27. The Warriors than fell to Bethany (Kan.) 74-58, Minor again led all scorers with 25 points.
Pom’s Power Rankings
- (RV) Valley City State- Have won 8 straight games and (RV) in the latest top 25 poll. Have a tough conference road weekend ahead.
- Mayville State-Haven’t played in a while we’ll see if they have any rust when they reopen conference play this weekend.
- Dickinson State-Their record may not show it, but this team has some talent, was a possession or two away from knocking off #7 Lewis and Clark State
- Bellevue- Was able to get their record back to .500 during the holiday break. Big opportunity with (RV) Valley City coming to Nebraska this weekend
- Viterbo– Finally got playing after a long layoff, see what happens when they get back in a rhythm
- Dakota State-Talented team just need to find a way to finish games
- Waldorf– Put in a good effort against Bellevue came up just short
- Presentation-Not much separation between them and Waldorf, two big conference road games this weekend.
NSAA Games This Week
(Games subject to change due to Covid-19).
Mon Jan 4
Dordt @ Dakota State
Fri. Jan 8th
Mayville @ Waldorf*
(RV) Valley City @ Dakota State*
Presentation @ Viterbo*
Dickinson @ Bellevue*
Sat Jan 2nd
(RV) Valley City @ Bellevue*
Dickinson @ Dakota State*
Mayville @ Viterbo*
Presentation @ Waldorf