Game Recaps, 1K Club, Conference Champs, and Other NAIA Bullet Points
- Good Morning NAIA Hoops Nation!! We will be spending a lot of time this weekend working on our updated conference tournament seeding, and our Top 25 rankings! This is a time of year for both joy, and heartbreak, as we see the thrill of victory, and the sadness of careers coming to an end. We will have a post on this later, but a quick thank you to all of the Seniors across the NAIA basketball world, for choosing to play NAIA!
- Moving on to our circled games from last night. One of the more meaningful games last night saw #19 Central Baptist go on the road to defeat Freed-Hardeman. This was a battle over 1st place in the America Midwest Conference, and the win puts CBC up 1 game now with 5 games left to go in the regular season. Darius Williams led the way for the Mustangs with 16 points. The AMC is still really clustered as the top 5 teams in the league are all separated by just 2 games!
- Our last featured NAIA DI game from last night was a FUN one, as #5 Lewis-Clark State defeated #11 Providence 96-87. Some big time performances all around, but the shooting of Josiah Westbrook proved to be enough to overcome another great Zaccheus Darko-Kelly outing of 36 points, 5 rebounds, and 5 assists. Lewis-Clark St. now holds a 3 game lead over 2nd place Carroll College, and a 4 game lead over Providence.
- In our first DII game last night we featured a game in the Kansas Collegiate Athletic Conference that was important for both teams as there is a log jam in the KCAC standings! Southwestern (KS) helped themselves a bit with the 95-87 win over Kansas Wesleyan. The win puts them in a 3-way tie for 3rd place right now. The loss moves Kansas Wesleyan into a tie with Bethel (KS) for the 6th seed. With most teams having just 3 regular season games left, there is still a lot of sorting out to do in the KCAC!
- The Sun Conference doesn’t always get a lot of love across the country, but last nights game between #21 Southeastern (FL) and #6 Keiser was as good as it gets! Southeastern came up with the big 69-68 road win to move into 1st place in The Sun Conference. Riley Minx came up with a big 28 point showing to help lead the Fire to the victory! 1st year Fire head coach Kevin Lubbers has his Fire Squad in a great position to win a regular season Sun championship with just two games left!
- Congrats to Montana Tech’s Taylor England on joining the 1K Scoring Club last week!
- Also congrats to Thomas Bullock on reaching the 1K club! Not bad for a BMX racer!!
- Dordt Junio Marcus Winterfield also joined the 1K Club!
- Antelope Valley captured the CalPac Regular Season Championship last night! I know we have them in the Top 10 of our rankings, but this team is a little under the radar in the NAIA Polls!
Follow us on Social Media