River States Conference Weekly Review
By: Brandon Terrell
River States Standings
- WVU Tech- The Golden Bears started off their week with a huge overtime victory on the road against Alice Lloyd 88-85. Junior Arrey had 23 points, 10 rebounds and eight assists in the win. On Thursday they defeated Midway 81-59, and they beat Asbury 83-99 on Saturday.
- #12 IU Kokomo- This week’s game of the week sure was entertaining, as IU Kokomo hosted IU East. The Redwolves defeated the Cougars 83-79. Billie Webster and Akil McClain both had 16 points in the loss. On Saturday the Cougars beat Ohio Christian 86-72. McClain had 29 points in the matchup
- IU East– Tuesday night IU East went on the road and defeated IU Kokomo 83-79 for Kokomo’s first conference loss of the season. Jehu Lafeuillee had 24 points and 10 rebounds leading the way for the Red Wolves.
- (RV) IU Southeast- Another big week for IU Southeast as they defeated Carlow 85-60, and Point Park 84-64. David Burton led the way for the Grenadiers with 19 points against Carlow and 26 against Point Park. The Grenadiers now have the longest win streak in the RSC at four.
- Point Park- The Pioneers had a good week going 2-1, starting off Tuesday when they defeated Penn State -Greater Allegheny 89-68. On Friday they beat Brescia 86-69. Leading the way for Point Park was Sherron Schifino with 19 points and 10 rebounds. On Sunday they were defeated by IU Southeast 64-84.
- Ohio Christian- The Trailblazers just had one game this week, on the road against IU Kokomo. They were defeated by a final score of 86-72. Justin Barksdale had 12 points and 11 rebounds in the loss.
- Midway- Midway wasn’t able to win either of their two games this week, losing on Thursday at WVU Tech 59-81, and losing on Saturday at Rio Grande 54-79. Kwon Evans had 15 points and nine rebounds against Rio Grande.
- Alice Lloyd- Alice Lloyd started off their week with a tough 85-88 overtime loss at home against WVU Tech. They were then able to go on the road on Thursday and defeat Rio Grande 83-77. Blake Smith scored 35 points against WVU Tech, and had 32 against Rio Grande. Smith now ranks 3rd in NAIA Division 2 in points per game with 27.6.
- Rio Grande- On Tuesday Rio Grande defeated Asbury 64-61, on Thursday Rio Grande was defeated by Alice Lloyd 77-83, and on Saturday they defeated Midway 79-54. Shiloah Blevins led the way with 14 points and 8 rebounds in the victory.
- Brescia- Brescia hit the road Thursday and beat Carlow 116-88, then were defeated by Point Park on Friday 69-86. Ricky Shuford had 24 points and 13 rebounds against Carlow.
- Asbury- Asbury started their week by losing at home against Rio Grande 61-64, and they were defeated WVU Tech on Saturday 83-99.
- Carlow- Carlow remained winless in conference play after losing to Brescia 88-116, and IU Southeast 60-85. Tre’ Harvey had 23 points in the loss to IU Southeast.
RSC POWER RANKINGS
- WVU Tech (14-7, 9-1)
- IU East (13-9, 7-1)
- Point Park (12-10, 4-4)
- Ohio Christian (7-13, 4-4)
- Rio Grande (11-13, 4-6)
- Carlow (1-21, 0-9)
- IU Kokomo (18-4, 7-1)
- IU Southeast (14-6, 7-2)
- Midway (11-10, 4-3)
- Alice Lloyd (10-11, 4-5)
- Brescia (7-14, 2-7)
- Asbury (7-15, 1-8)
GAMES OF THE WEEK
Tuesday, January 28th- IU Southeast @ IU East 7:30PM EST Watch
Saturday, February 1st- IU Kokomo @ WVU Tech 3:00PM EST Watch