Huge shoutout to all of the Sports Information Directors out there. The crossover season isn’t easy, as there is so much action going on with Football, M/W Soccer, Volleyball, Golf, Wrestling and M/W Basketball. I am sure we are even missing some sports, but many SID’s are covering all of those sports, either by themselves or maybe have a grad assistant or two. Most work long hours and are up past midnight working on stories. Just wanted to give them all a shoutout as we see all of the content they are pushing out on the daily basis!
- Down in New Orleans, an old rivalry is resurfacing as Southern University – New Orleans, after shutting down athletic program for three seasons, is back and have been a real thorn in teams sides this season. Including last night, against crosstown XULA. SUNO led at the half, before falling 60-53.
- If you are a high school player, or a parent to a high school player, or honestly anyone with any ties to the NAIA, here are two great, must read, articles for you!
- From the AP News in Milwaukee, a great article on the Loyola Trio, who won a National Title and are now at NCAA D1 programs.
- Second article is a great article in the Indy Star on Marian All-American, Ella Collier, and how she could have gone D1, but chose Marian instead!
Games of the Day Recaps
Men’s Games of the Day
- Think this may be one of our first recaps where both teams were above 80pts. Dillard has been a bit inconsistent this season, but they go on the road and get a nice win against William Carey. Kenyon Duling was, once again, a stud. He goes for 23pts to lead the Blue Devils. William Carey got 23pts from Earl Smith and 22pts off the bench from Kolby Moore, but the Crusaders dug themselves a big hole early and just couldn’t quite dig themselves out of it.
What a great road win this was for Antelope Valley. They have a ton of new faces this season, but it’s a unique roster build as several of these guys played together at previous schools. They have a ton of talent and compete hard on both ends of the floor. In last night’s road win over a very good The Master’s team, it was Michael Hayes who led all scorers with 18pts. Aaris Bonds came off the bench for 15pts/8rebs/4blks/2stls. For The Master’s, it was once again Kaleb Lowery who paced them with another double-double. Finishing with 17pts to go with 14rebs.
Women’s Games of the Day
This WHAC opener didn’t disappoint as it was Siena Heights who went on the road to knock off No. 24 Indiana Tech. The Saints jumped out to a big lead in the 1st quarter, and then were able to defend off Indiana Tech for the next three quarters. Including the 4th quarter, that saw a lot of back-and-forth action and Indiana Tech hitting a 3 to go up 73-72 with under two minutes to play. The Saints though, would get back-to-back buckets to push it to a 77-73 lead and would hold on for the win! Sha’Kyia Parker had a huge night with a game high 28pts, 5rebs, 3assts, 3stls.
Carroll has already seen their fair share of Games of the Day for the season, but they are a fun team to watch and when you travel across two time zones on your way from Montana to Indiana to start a road trip and face No. 11 Indiana Wesleyan on Friday, we wondered if this would be a bit of a trap game for them. The Saints came out focused and ready to go though and started their Indiana trip off with the win. They got 12pts apiece from Sienna Swannack and Adddi Eckstrom in the win! Grace was led by Jenna Blakely who had a game-high 13pts.
Other Games of Note
- Wolverine-Hoosier Final Scores:
- In CCAC Conference Play, there were no real surprises on the Men’s side. Nor on the women’s side, although RV St. Francis (IL) did beat Calumet by 89 points.
- Maki Mohr, of St. Xavier was the recipient of this nasty lob!
- Speaking of NASTY dunks, how about Keyshawn Bruner of OUAZ!!!
- A big congrats to Spring Arbor Head Coach, Ryan Cottingham on career win #400 yesterday!
- Michaela Schmidt of IU Northwest joined the 1,000pt club last night! Congrats Michaela!
Performances of Note
- In an early day game yesterday, it was Kevyn Robertson of Spring Arbor with the huge 20pt, 17reb double-double!
- The new Jamestown scoring king, Mason Walters with another big night with 24pts, 17rebs in their win over Jamestown.
- Kyler Villarreal of Life Pacific went off in the 2nd half and finished with 27pts in their win over St Katherine.
- John Cison, of Trinity Christian, started off CCAC play dropping 38pts in a loss to Trinity International.
- You don’t see this often, but Baker had 3 guys, Quentin Harvy (11/15), Braden Wiggs (10/11) and Korey Jones (16/12) go for double-doubles in the same game and they lost 79-77 to Ottawa (KS).
- Cornerstone had 3 guys go for 20+ in their win vs UM Dearborn. Carter Nyp (21), Eli Steffen (20) and Zac Velthouse (20).
- Alysia Lawson dropped 28pts to help UNOH defeat Madonna.
- Sam Stewart of Peru State had a 22pt/10reb game against Doane.
- Olivia Nall had 26pts/10rebs to help Doane knock off Peru State.
- Tiara Jackson with the 17pts/16reb game and Michaela Schmidt 16pt/13reb game to help IU Northwest beat Roosevelt in CCAC action.
Follow us on Social Media