Daily Dive – Feb. 17th
Well, if last night didn’t get your juices flowing then we have nothing for you! There is no hype up needed, we can just jump right into last nights incredible action!
- Wednesday’s Top News
- The Union Bulldogs won the AAC Regular Season for the 8th straight season (there was no champion last season). The win also punches their ticket to the NAIA National Championships! (Recap)
- The Continental Athletic Conference announced the 8 teams who will compete for the leagues two auto-bids!
- Big Seeding Wins
- Cornerstone defeated Madonna, 82-69. (Recap) The win slides Cornerstone into 2nd place, in the WHAC, all by themselves! It’s an important seed as the 2-seed will go to National Tournament if the 1-seed, Indiana Tech wins the WHAC Tournament as well! Pat and I discuss a lot, on NHR – The Podcast, that you have to watch out for special performances from Seniors who aren’t ready for their seasons to end and put their teams on their back with special performance after special performance. Well Christian Rodriguez of Cornerstone is always special, but boy he is starting to look an extra kind of special over these past two games. One game after dropping 34pts, 8 assts to beat Lawrence Tech, Rodriguez dropped 40pts last night in the huge win.
- Two Weeks ago Peru State was dead in the water in the Heart of America, needing lots of help to reach the Heart Tournament. Well, after beating Culver Stockton last night, this team has won 5 of it’s last 6 (4 of it’s last 5 in Heart Play) games and has gotten a lot of help from others losing and for now, find themselves in a 3-way tie with Park and Mount Mercy with 1 game to go. Peru State still needs some help as a win doesn’t fully get them in. They need 1 of the other two teams to lose and they have to win, to get in!
- Northwestern got the season sweep over Dordt, winning 80-78. (Recap) Both teams may make the tournament, but for two bubble teams with similar resumes, it was a huge win for Northwestern!
- Speaking of BIG wins, what a win by Concordia (NE) last night over Briar Cliff. A BC win would have allowed them to clinch the GPAC Regular Season Title AND it would have given them the chance, next week, to be the first GPAC team in over 15 years to go undefeated on the road in GPAC play! However, this sequence of events from last, for the CUNE win, was just well, just watch!!!
- Other Notable Games
- Back in the WHAC, what a marathon of a game between UM-Dearborn and Lawrence Tech! UM-Dearborn goes on the road and snaps their 16 game losing streak with a win in TRIPLE OVERTIME, 103-99! (Recap)
- IU Northwest defeated #20 IU South Bend last night, 69-68. (Recap) They are the only team this season to knock off both, Olivet Nazarene and IU South Bend. The win is also the win they most likely needed to get an at-large birth into the NAIA National Tournament, even if they don’t get the auto-bid!
- #4 OKWU avenges an earlier home loss to Southwestern, by going on the road to defeat them, 75-66. (Recap) Bethel (KS) takes over sole possession of 2nd place in the KCAC with their win and the Southwestern loss.