Our Daily Dive series is your daily rundown of what is happening around NAIA basketball. We feature game breakdowns, updates on players, coaches teams and leagues for both men’s and women’s basketball.
– NHR The Podcast will make it’s season debut on Monday! That is right, it is FINALLY back, as the equipment is now set up in the new place! The show, which was on Saturday mornings last season will be moved to Monday’s to help bring in some of our West Coast coaches onto the show this season. Something about a 4am PT show that they didn’t want to wake up for last year!!
- All jokes aside, I am thrilled to have Pat Derksen joining me as co-host this season. Pat is a former NAIA player at Holy Cross (IN) who now helps to call NAIA games now on Regional Radio Sports Network out in Indiana. Pat has a wealth of NAIA basketball knowledge and is a great ambassador of the game! Really looking forward to the new podcast season!
– Our two Games of the Day were fun ones last night.
- Bethel (IN) knocked off #25 IU South Bend 95-87 behind Sophomore Drew Greene’s 24pts. The Pilots, who were coming off of a 83-91 loss to Cornerstone, got off to a slow start in this one as they found themselves down double figures early. However, the pace of play and 3pt shooting display they put on helped them come back and win this game. The Pilots shot a staggering 60.9% from 3 while knocking down 14 3’s. The two teams combined for 26 trifectas in the game. Dylan Allen had 25pts, 6assts in the loss.
- #8 Bethel (KS) defeated Park (MO) 72-61. Park did a great job of defending 1st team All-American, Jaylon Scott, holding him to just 7pts, but he did contribute 7assts and grab 12rebs. If you have watched this Bethel team though, you know that when game plans are designed to limit Scott, the Threshers usually get big games from Clifford Byrd II and Bryant Mocaby and that is what happened last night as Byrd had a game high 21pts and Mocaby chipped in 10pts and 6rebs. Park was without All-American, Cory Reeves, who has yet to play this season. They were led in scoring by Quez Williamson with 19pts.
– There were actually great games all across the slate last night:
- Cumberlands (KY) 75 – IU Southeast 68
- Coastal Georgia 54 – Brewton-Parker 47
- IU Northwest 72 – IU Kokomo 64
- St Mary-Woods 84 – Goshen 82
- #2 Saint Francis 84 – RV Indiana Tech 78
– We even got some conference action going in the Chicagoland Collegiate Athletic Conference:
– As for last nights Women’s action:
- #19 Clarke (IA) traveled out to California and defeated Menlo (CA) 82-68.
- Point (GA) defeated Mobile (AL) at the buzzer, 60-58
In CCAC conference play:
– Yesterday was also the opening day of the HBCU Classic held by University of the Virgin Islands :
- Day 2 of 3, of the HBCU Classic starts up with the first game coming at 2pm today!