Daily Dive – October 26th
Our Daily Dive series is your daily rundown of what is happening around NAIA basketball. We feature game breakdowns, updates on players, coaches teams and leagues for both men’s and women’s basketball.
Our apologies for a little slow coverage these past few days. I am not sure who decided that it was a good idea to move at the beginning of the basketball season, but since she doesn’t read my articles, I will put the full blame on her! You know the saying though, happy wife equals happy life! Almost finished up though, so you will see a flux of articles coming out again starting today!
– Speaking of articles, we just dropped our NHR Preseason Top 25.
- Just want to reemphasize that a lot of time and research goes into each of these. Before you go off on how we are sleeping on such and such team, just know that we actually rank out to Top 40 and there are several teams in that 40 that were in the discussion to crack the Top 25. Also, we aren’t always right, just in case you wondered! We are perfectly fine with missing on teams. It is part of what makes the season fun, is watching teams, who you weren’t expecting, jump up into the think of a conference championship picture.
– Here are yesterday’s top performers: NAIA Men – Monday, October 25th
- Matt Simpson (Florida College) did Matt Simpson type stuff last night going for 21pts and 9 rebounds in their 116-76 win over Trinity College. Phat Cleveland chipped in 10 assists in the win.
- Jay Malone (Dillard) dropped 30pts to with 7 rebounds and 3 assists in Dillards nice 90-75 win over Central Baptist.
- Southwestern (KS) put five guys in double figures last night, led by Cevin Clark’s 30pts. Southwestern beat Bacone 117-75.
– NAIA Women – Monday, October 25th
- Sydney Booker (William Woods) had a 19pt, 10reb double-double to lead the Woods to a 50-47 victory over Cottey College. The win was Head Coach, Terry Nash, first win as a head coach!
- Monica Valenzuela had 19pts, 8rebs to lead William Jessup to a 61-48 win over Eastern Oregon.
- Haley Robinett (Eastern Oregon) had 10pts, 13rebs in the loss to William Jessup.
- Providence (MT) got 23pts, 7rebs from Reed Hazard and 14pts, 11rebs from Parker Esary to beat Embry-Riddle 70-60.
- ERU got 23pts from Susie Reynoso and 20 from Zakirah King in the loss.
– We have a relatively large game slate today, we will have our Schedule and Links and Games to Watch article out later today!
- We have a BIG time one tonight on the Men’s side with Loyola vs Xavier (LA) is top of the list!
– The Men’s and Women’s Conference Ratings were released yesterday with the first official NAIA Top 25’s being released on Wednesday.
– A few former NAIA Players doing big things in the Pros:
- EJ Onu Signs with G-League, Texas Legends.
– Kyle Mangas, 2x NAIA Player of the Year, was just named Eurobasket News Player of the Week!!
- Former UPike All-American, Kenny Manigault continues to play himself into nice pro contracts!
- Former All-American, Dexter Hood signs a big contract in Iraq.
- One Motive Sports players, Abrian Edwards (William Penn), Milan Skundric (Faulkner), Kevin Oberweiser and Reggie Kissoolal (Marian) all with good performances.