NorthStar Weekly Review
By Jacob Pommerer
2020-21 NSAA Standings
Mayville State (11-4 8-3 NSAA)-Picked up a big weekend sweep to put themselves in first place int the standings all alone. The Comets defeated Bellevue 83-71, Latrelle Franklin and Josh Ketchel each had 17 points to lead the Comets. Mayville finished off the weekend with a 74-67 win over Dakota State, Iker Cruz and Xavier Towne each had 12 points to lead the way.
(RV) Valley City (16-5 7-4 NSAA)-The Viking split their road trip this past weekend. VCSU fell to 91-81 Daevonte Munson led the Vikings with 11 points off the bench. The Vikings bounced back with a 78-71 victory over Waldorf, Tate Hebrink scored 21 points off the bench to lead VCSU.
Bellevue (15-12,7-4 NSAA)- Bellevue earned a weekend split this past weekend. The Bruins fell to Mayville 83-71, Michael Wright led all scorers with 28 points. Bellevue bounced back to defeat Presentation 71-60; Jemeil King led all scorers with 20 points.
Viterbo (10-6 7-4 NSAA)-The V-Hawks swept the weekend to move into a 3-way tie for second place. Viterbo defeated (RV)Valley City 91-81, Brady Polk led all scorers with 27 points. Viterbo than took down Dickinson State 93-74, Robert Cunitz led all scorers with 26 points.
Dakota State (8-12 6-5 NSAA)-The Trojans split their conference weekend, The Trojans defeated Presentation 85-75, Jordan Lynn led the Trojans with 19 points. Dakota State fell to Mayville by a score of 74-67, Brady Van Holland led all scorers with 15 points.
Dickinson State (8-14 5-6 NSAA)-The BlueHawks went 0-2 this past weekend. Dickinson fell to Waldorf 85-76, Ajdin Toskic led the BlueHawks with 18 points. Dickinson than fell to Viterbo 93-74, Bryce Knox had 23 points to lead the BlueHawks.
Waldorf (5-14 4-7 NSAA)– The Warriors earned a weekend split in conference action this past weekend. Waldorf defeated Dickinson 85-76, Quincy Minor Jr. and Chet Helming each had 18 points to lead the Warriors. Waldorf than fell to (RV) Valley City 87-71, Minor Jr led all scorers with 23 points.
Presentation (3-21 0-11 NSAA)-Went 0-2 on the weekend. The Saints fell to Dakota State 85-75, Dwight Felton led all scorers with 32 points. PC than fell to Bellevue 71-60, Qaiyroom Olanlege led the Saints with 18 points.
Pom’s Power Rankings
- (RV) Valley City State-Even after the loss to Viterbo the Vikings stay first in the power rankings. If the NSAA has any shot of getting an at-large team into the NAIA tournament it’s VCSU.
- Mayville- Took over first place in the standings all by themselves but with 3 games to play things are far from decided.
- Bellevue- Big game @ (RV) Valley City this week that will shape how the NSAA is going to shake out.
- Viterbo- Big 2-0-week huge game with Mayville this weekend a win would give them a shot at a conference title.
- Dakota State-Earned a weekend split, still a threat to make a run in the conference tournament.
- Waldorf – A team that has greatly improved from the beginning of the year.
- Dickinson State-their up and down season continued this weekend. Need to find some consistency.
- Presentation-With 3 games to play in the regular season a win could really help end the season on a high not and give them some momentum going into the first round of the conference tournament.
NSAA Games This Week
(Games subject to change due to Covid-19).
Fri. Feb. 12th
Bellevue @ (RV) Valley City*
Dakota State @ Dickinson*
Waldorf @ Presentation*
Sat Feb. 7th
Viterbo @ Presentation*
Waldorf @ Mayville*
Dakota State @ Valley City*
Bellevue @ Dickinson State*