The Daily Dive is your deep dive into the news and notes from around the NAIA Hoops World. Every day we will highlight some of the top headlines, conference updates, player accolades, coaching milestones and more. This used to be our Morning Bullet Points series. We went away from it this year, as others were doing similar things and we didn’t want to step on any toes. At the request of many, we have elected to bring it back for the second half of the season. Feel free to DM us on Twitter (@NAIAHoopsReport) or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to recommend stories to be included into this segment.
– Can’t go into full detail just yet, but we have some BIG things we have been working on for some future bracketology segments. Quick tease, we have teamed up with someone who we respect a ton with their bracket making abilities. He has done a lot of the heavy lifting, but we spent some good time yesterday breaking down what a potential National Tournament will look like! It is going to be a really fun feature moving forward for the rest of the season!
Recap of yesterday’s Games of the Day:
RV Cumberlands 76 @ 17 Georgetown 83 (Full Recap)
This game was pretty fun to watch for the entire 40 minutes. Georgetown held a 30-26 advantage at halftime and the two teams would exchange leads for the first 15 minutes of the 2nd half. Georgetown though went on a 13-2 towards the end of the game that would ultimately be too much for Cumberlands. Chucky Wilson finished with a career high 28pts. Kyran Jones added 11pts, 16rebs. Tevin Olison had a game high 28pts in the loss.
RV CIU 69 @ TN Wesleyan 73 (Full Recap)
Yesterday we mentioned how tough it is to get a win at Tennessee Wesleyan and the Bulldogs showed why last night. The CIU loss means they are in a tie, in the loss column, for 1st place in the AAC. Eight teams remain within 2 games of 1st place. Djimon Wilson had a game high 25pts for the Bulldogs in the win.
Wayland Baptist 79 @ Central Christian 75 OT (Full Recap)
Wayland Baptist gets the OT road Sooner Athletic Conference win to keep them 1 game back of 1st place. The Freshman Devin Avent Continues to be really impressive as he led all scorers with 30pts in this one. It’s his 2nd 30+pt performance already this season and his 5th game with 20 or more points.
Per Request, Here is a rundown of all of yesterday’s scores:
– Congratulations to Brandon Thomas (Bryan), DJ Mercer (Warner) and Tevin Olison (Cumberlands) for joining the 1k scoring club! Great accomplishments!
– Also a shout out to Darius Yohe, who is the new career blocks leader at William Woods and Makenzie Fessler, who is now the new career rebounding leader at William Woods.
– The NAIA released it’s Top Plays of the Week yesterday! Always fun to watch the great talent across NAIA athletics:
– Conference Standings are starting to really heat up. It’s making for a lot more great games, even between two teams, who on paper, may not seem like good matchups! Per usual, the Friday slate is a little small, but we get league games from the Golden State, NorthStar and Southern States leagues tonight!
Follow us on Social Media