Southwestern sits on top of the early KCAC season after becoming the first 2-0 team in the league. The Moundbuilders defense was on display in their KCAC-opening wins over Kansas Wesleyan and Friends this week, limiting the two teams to a combined 5-48 (10.4%) from behind the three-point line. The team will finish out a three-game road trip with Bethel and York this week.
McPherson remains one of three undefeated teams in the KCAC overall following a dominating 30-point win over Avila to begin their conference slate. The Bulldogs saw four players reach double figures in their lone game this past week.
Tabor continues to take the early NAIA season by storm as they are now 3-0 following their conference-opening win over Sterling. The Bluejays face a pair of winnable home games against Avila and Bethany and could find themselves 3-0 in conference play to start the year.
Bethany showed no signs of rust after sitting as the last team in the league to start the season. With no non-conference games, the Swedes knocked Friends handily to start the year off in the win column. Four members reached double digits in their nine-point win.
Avila has been the busiest team thus far, already played seven games to start the year. The Eagles had a lot of question marks heading into the season, but have been fueled by a wide-variety of options. The team bounced back from their big loss to McPherson to knock off Bethel by two and then also posted a come-from-behind non-conference win the very next day against Peru State. The Eagles currently sit at 5-2 on the season.
Bethel earned probably the biggest win of the young season with their overtime victory over OKWU, but followed it up with a heartbreaking loss on the road at Avila. The Threshers at 1-2 are much better than their record indicates.
#14 Ottawa unfortunately saw both of their two games canceled this week and remains 2-0 overall as they await their first KCAC contest
Saint Mary has also yet to record a KCAC game and has already announced the postponement of their two upcoming games this week. The Spires currently sit at 0-1 overall.
York also awaits their first KCAC game of the year after one postponement last week. Panthers remain 0-2 overall.
RV Oklahoma Wesleyan dropped a tough overtime battle against Bethel to begin the year after fighting back to tie the game with just seconds remaining in regulation. The Eagles took advantage of an open weekend and went north to play No. 3 Indiana Wesleyan, but fell on the road. Nonetheless, a good early-season test for one of the top projected teams in the KCAC.
Sterling dropped their opening game vs. Tabor and will have a big game coming up against a hungry Kansas Wesleyan team looking to secure their first conference win as well.
Kansas Wesleyan dropped a defensive battle at Southwestern to begin the conference season, nearly pulling an improbable comeback off to steal the victory. Leading scorer and rebounder AJ Range played just 19 minutes in that game due to foul trouble, but still finished just one board shy of a double double.
Friends is still searching for their first season as they still figure out their chemistry with a lot of new faces. The Falcons currently pose as one of the top three-point shooting teams in the country.
KCAC POWER RANKINGS 11/9
1. Tabor – playing as good as any team in the league right now with perfect 3-0 record
2. McPherson – undefeated at 3-0 and started KCAC play with a 30-point win
3. Southwestern – First team to 2-0 in the KCAC following wins over Kansas Wesleyan and Friends
4. #14 Ottawa – Yet to play a conference game, 2-0 overall
5. Avila – Bounced back from a 30-point loss to knock off Bethel
6. Bethany – Picked up a win in first game of the season over Friends
7. Bethel – Two points away from being 2-0 in KCAC, picked up big win over OKWU
8. RV Oklahoma Wesleyan – Tough OT loss at Bethel, battled tough with No. 3 Indiana Wesleyan
9. Kansas Wesleyan – Nearly pulled off a comeback win on the road at Southwestern
10. Sterling – Knocked off by a red-hot Tabor team to start the conference slate
11. Saint Mary – Have not played a KCAC game yet
12. York – Have not played a KCAC game yet
13. Friends – Tough start to the season at 0-5
GAMES OF THE WEEK
TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 10
Avila at Tabor
Two up-and-coming teams battle for top-of-the-conference positioning