- #1 Georgetown – Big time defensive week for the Tigers. They started off the week on Thursday by beating Life 76-37. Not only was the defense suffocating, but the best team in the country added to the offensive fire power as well, as their leading scorer Nico Clareth, who had been out since late November. As if that wasn’t enough, the defending national champs also added 6’9 D1 Transfer Rade Kukobat to their already potent lineup. They jumped out to an early 10-2 lead, and never looked back. The Tigers built their lead up to 12 at half time, and then outscored Life 44-17 in the 2nd Half. The 37 points given up is an all time low in Coach Briggs tenure. On Saturday, it was much of the same, as Georgetown used another dominant performance to beat Cumberland (TN) 116-74. The Tigers were clicking offensively in this one, as they scored 54 points in the 1st half, then followed that up with 62 in the 2nd half. They once again had five guys in double figures. Chris Coffey, who leads the nation in rebounds/game scored 18 points, and 12 rebounds for his 11th double-double this season. Jacob Conway had the hot hand in this one, as he finished with 29 points for the Tigers. Georgetown will travel to Campbellsville (KY) on Thursday, before hosting Lindsey Wilson on Saturday to round up the first round of conference play.
- #16 Cumberlands (KY) – Cumberlands (KY) stayed red hot this week with two wins. They started off the week with a 21 point road win at Campbellsville. The Patriots used a 10-0 run to close out the 1st half to take a six point lead into the break. Then they came out and just dominated the 2nd half outscoring Campbellsville 46-31 in the 2nd stanza. The Pioneers put five guys in double figures, and were led by Tevin Olison’s 18 points. Caleb Taylor also had a BIG game, as he finished the game with 10 points and 18 rebounds. Cumberlands once again hit the road on Saturday, and once again came away victorious. Although this game was much closer than the Thursday contest. The Pioneers found themselves down 34-29 at half, before stringing together a big 2nd half to pull out the 70-65 victory. Tevin Olison capped off a very impressive week as he finished the game with 23 points and 5 rebounds. The Pioneers have a big week this week though, as they will host #14 Pikeville on Thursday, and then host #25 Shawnee State on Saturday.
- #25 Shawnee State – Just one game this past week for Shawnee State, but they got a huge 68-57 road victory over #14 Pikevile. Both of these teams struggled to get anything going from the 3pt line as the teams combined to go 5-22 from 3. However, Shawnee State was able to shoot 50% from the field still, while UPike shot just 37.3%. EJ Onu and Kyree Elder continue to play impressive basketball as they combined for 34 points, and 15 rebounds. Shawnee finishes their 4 game road trip on Thursday when they travel to play #16 Cumberlands (KY).
- Campbellsville – The Tigers dropped their 2nd consecutive game on Thursday, as the Tigers fell 63-84 at home to #16 Cumberlands (KY). Ronald Taylor led the way for the Tigers with 19 points. The road doesn’t get any easier this week, as Campbellsville host #1 Georgetown on Thursday, and then head to Thomas More on Saturday for a road contest.
- #14 Pikeville – Pikeville dropped it’s 3rd straight Mid-South contest on Thursday, losing to #25 Shawnee State, at home, 57-68. All-American Luke Layhew led the Bears with 14 points and 11 rebounds. UPike will look to rebound this week when they travel to #16 Cumberlands (KY) on Thursday. They will finish off the week hosting NCCAA member Carver on Saturday.
- RV Lindsey Wilson – The Blue Raiders hosted a hot Cumberlands (KY) squad on Saturday and fell short, as they lost 65-70 in a great game. Lindsey Wilson got off to a great start in this one and held a 34-29 advantage at halftime, but gave up the first eight points of the 2nd half, and then a 13-4 run shortly after by Cumberlands (KY) had the Blue Raiders down 50-41. They did cut the deficit down to 63-68 with just 30 seconds left, but couldn’t overcome the early Patriot run. Reece Brooks had 13 points 6 assists. Lindsey Wilson will now hit the road on Thursday to play Thomas More, and then again on Saturday when they play #1 Georgetown.
- Cumberland (TN) – The Phoenix hit the road for both games this past week, and were unable to come away with a win. On Thursday, they lost 57-60 in a great game against Thomas More. Cumberland (TN) held a slight 2 point advantage at half time, and the two combined for 6 ties, and 3 lead changes in the 2nd half. Cumberland couldn’t hold on to a 9 point lead though, and fell to a Thomas More team who got hot late. The Phoenix then ran into a Buzzsaw on Saturday, as they traveled to #1 Georgetown and lost 116-74. Cumberland will travel to USCAA member Oakwood on Thursday,
- Thomas More – Thomas More found themselves down 53-45 when they used a 14-0 run with just under 5 minutes to play. The Saints would use the momentum to close out the game for the win. Ryan Batte had 21 points, 7 rebounds for Thomas More. The Saints will host RV Lindsey Wilson on Thursday, and Campbellsville on Saturday.
- Life – Life hosted #1 Georgetown on Thursday and lost 76-37. Life had one player in double figures in this one as Cam Horton scored 10 points. Their struggles continued on Saturday as they lost 47-56 at home to Thomas More. Horton once again found himself in double figures with 12 points. Jeremy Joyner led the team with 13 points.
- Georgetown – Some say the best NAIA team they have
State – 2 road wins, including one at #14 Pikeville has them remaining in the two
(KY) – Big week ahead for
the Pioneers as they host both #14 Pikeville, and #25 Shawnee State.
– A team that had capped off a 6 game win streak with a win over then #4 Pikeville,
dropped back to back home games this week.
– Have now lost 4 of
last 5, including 3 in a row. Need a bounce back win this week @ #16
Wilson – Have been up and down this season, but have a lot of close losses.
More – Back to back wins this past week.
(TN) – Have lost 6 of last 7 games.
– On a 4 game slide after beating Lindsey Wilson
GAMES OF THE WEEK
Thursday, January 23rd
14 Pikeville @ 16 Cumberlands (KY) 8:00pm ET
Saturday, January 25th
Campbelllsville @ Thomas More 4:00pm ET
25 Shawnee State @ 16 Cumberlands (KY) 4:00 pm ET
Follow us on Social Media