Crossroads League Standings
- #2 Indiana Wesleyan (17-3)(7-1)- The Wildcats got two big wins this week over the likes of Huntington and Taylor. IWU looks as strong as they have over the past 5 years. With the increased efforts of transfer Tanner Rubio and the development of Sophomore Seth Maxwell Greg Tonagel’s squad looks primed for another deep run in this years tournament.
- #6 Mt. Vernon (17-3)(5-1)– The Cougars continued to be tested by tough league play this week going 1-1. St. Francis handed MVNU their first home loss of the year Tuesday night as they continued their shooting woes. The loss was avenged on Saturday with a tough 102-101 win against a gritty Grace squad. Senior Austin Jones and Junior Jevon Knox continue to be strong but Jared Ronai’s supporting cast will need to step into bigger roles if the Cougars want to have a shot at a national title this year.
- #8 Marian (15-4)(6-2)- MU flexed their muscles this week with two wins including a 99-74 rout of #11 Bethel. The Knights have been led by the trio of Junior Cameron Wolter, Junior Christian Stewart, and Freshman Christian Harvey. The trio combined for 75 of Scott Heady’s squads 99 in the 25-point win over the Pilots. Sophomore Hayden Langkabel has also stepped up his production while seeing an increase in minutes.
- #11 Bethel (17-3)(5-3)– The Pilots had an up and down week dropping a 25 point decision to Marian but bouncing back to defeat Huntington 101-70. TreVion Crews has been spectacular but we have seen Grant Gelon cool off recently after a hot start. BU should be an interesting team to watch as Steve Drabyn’s squad navigates the second round of conference in the coming weeks.
- #18 Grace (13-7)(5-3)- The biggest surprise in the NAIA this year came down from their scorching hot run in recent weeks as they dropped a pair to the likes of Mount Vernon and Spring Arbor. The question of the week was how many ranked teams the Lancers could beat, unfortunately Scott Moore’s squad fell to Spring Arbor but showed great fight in a 101-102 loss at Mount Vernon in a really fun game. GC will continue to have opportunities for upsets as they face another pair of top 10 teams this week.
- #21 Saint Francis (16-4)(5-3)- The Cougars had two massive wins this week knocking off Mount Vernon on the road by 9 and defeating Spring Arbor by 8 at home. USF continues a balanced approach and has been in every game they’ve played thus far. Chad LaCrosse’s squad looks like they should be ready to make a run come March.
- RV Spring Arbor (12-8)(3-5)- SAU went 1-1 on the week getting a much needed road win over Grace but dropped the contest against Saint Francis by 8. The return of Branden Durnell has the Cougars looking up as they prepare for the second half of conference play.
- Taylor (11-9)(3-5)– The Trojans had an up and down week going 1-1 with a 26 point rout of Goshen and a 29 point loss on the road to Indiana Wesleyan. TU received a boost as breakout Sophomore CJ Penha returned Saturday after missing 7 games. With the addition of Penha Josh Andrew’s squads could be a team that could play spoiler in the second half of the season.
- Huntington (9-11)(1-7)- HU dropped a pair this week to the hands of Indiana Wesleyan and Marian. The Foresters showed good fight against the likes of Marian falling 80-88. Ty Platt’s squad has struggled with consistency this year but has been paced by dynamic senior guard Konner Platt. Look for HU to pull off an upset or two late in conference play to make things interesting.
- Goshen (4-16)(0-8)- The Maple Leaf’s were handed two tough losses by a combined 57 points this week at the hands of Taylor and Bethel. Tahj Curry and Austin Branagan have led GC thus far this year but Jon Tropf will need other to step up to see improvements down the stretch.
- Indiana Wesleyan – The Wildcats will face two tough tests as they hit the road to play at Grace and Bethel this week. Look for the Wildcats to continue to gain momentum down the second half of conference.
- Marian– The Knights have two great games this week as they host Saint Francis and head to Grace. MU will be tested with a tough week but have an opportunity to get a few good wins.
- Bethel – The Pilots have the biggest week of their season as they host Mount Vernon and Indiana Wesleyan. BU could turn some eyes and gain some big-time recognition with a win or two this week. Gelon should be a big deciding factor in both of these games
- Mount Vernon – The Cougars will face a test early in the week at Bethel but should have an easy win at Goshen. MVNU will need to start the week off with a win if they want to have a chance at a #1 seed in March.
- Grace– The Lancers also may have their biggest week of their year as they will host both Indiana Wesleyan and Marian. While it will be an extremely tough task to knock off the Wildcats, GC has an opportunity in Marian to make some more noise.
- Saint Francis (IN) – The Cougars will have a pair of road games this week against the likes of Marian and Huntington. USF will need to start winning a few more games against the top half of conference if they want to rise in the polls. Lance Dollison and Hunter Hollowell could be two to keep an eye on in games down the stretch.
- Taylor– The Trojans will host two games this week against Huntington and a rematch against Spring Arbor in a rematch of 1 point decision to start the month. The addition of CJ Penha have TU primed for a run starting with two winnable games this week.
- Spring Arbor– The Cougars will host Goshen to start the week and head to Taylor to round out the week. SAU will have an opportunity with the return of Brandon Durnell to earn a few games back late starting this week.
- Huntington – The Foresters will head to Taylor early in the week and finish at home against Saint Francis. If HU wants to make a run at the conference tournament they cannot wait any longer than this week. They will need to earn at least one of the two.
- Goshen – The Maple Leafs will have a tough week going to Spring Arbor and hosting Mount Vernon. GC will most likely turn toward a developmental approach here in the coming games. Look for the young core to get increased minutes.
GAMES TO WATCH THIS WEEK
21 Saint Francis @ 8 Marian – January 21st at 7:00 PM
6 Mount Vernon @ 11 Bethel – January 21st at 7:00 PM
2 Indiana Wesleyan @ 18 Grace – January 21st at 7:00 PM
8 Marian @ 18 Grace – January 25th at 3:00 PM
2 Indiana Wesleyan @ 11 Bethel – January 25th at 3:00 PM
RV Spring Arbor @ Taylor – January 25th at 3:00 PM