NAIA Morning Bullet Points: Game Recaps, new 1K Club Members, and More..
- Good Morning NAIA Hoops Nation! More storms headed to various parts of the US this weekend, and we are already starting to see some postponed games. We will do our best to help relay information out. To those who are hitting the road this weekend, safe travels to you all!
- It was a fun evening last night in NAIA DI Hoops. Not only did we have 3 Top 25 matchups, but we had great games all over the country. Here are the Game Recaps from the games we had circled, plus some information on a few other NAIA DI Games.
- 25 Shawnee State (OH) 68 – 14 Pikeville (KY) 57
- Shawnee State is on an absolute fire run right now. Winners of 8 of their last 10 games. Their only 2 losses you ask?! To NAIA DII #2 Indiana Wesleyan on a last second shot, and against NAIA DI #1 Georgetown. After the Georgetown loss, they faced a four game road test, against the top of the Mid-South. Shawnee, so far, has risen to the challenge, as they knocked off #14 UPike last night for the 3rd of the 4th road game. Kyree Elder and EJ Onu, combined for 34 points and 15 rebounds in the win. Game Recap|Box Score
- #6 LSU-Shreveport 90 – #14 LSU-Alexandria 93
- I will admit, I had this game on the computer, and almost switched games when Shreveport got up 16 points with just over 6 minutes to go. I am glad I didn’t, as Alexandria saved their “A Game” for those final minutes as they went on a 20-2 run to end the game. It was a BIG win for Alexandria as they go up 2 games on Shreveport in the Red River Athletic Conference. Game Reacap|Box Score
- #2 Mid-America Christian 92 – #19 Texas Wesleyan 81
- MACU is rolling right now, and you could argue that they have one of the best resumes in NAIA as they knocked off their fourth straight Top 25 opponent. They found themselves in a battle throughout the 1st half, but finally found some traction midway through the 2nd, and pulled away for the win. While most dynamic duo’s around the country are back court mates, or a guard/forward combination, MACU continues to impress with their Forward combination of Ashford Golden, and Cedric Wright. The two combined for 38 points, and 18 rebounds, all while going a perfect 14-14 from the FT line. Game Recap|Box Score
- OUAZ, last night, had one of the biggest wins in their short program history last night as they knocked off #18 Hope International in GSAC play.
- Columbia College also got in on the fun, as they got a big 89-68 win over #21 Central Baptist.
- NAIA DII may not have had all of the Top 25 matchups like DI had, but there were still some great matchups last night.
- St Thomas (FL) 80 – #14 Keiser 101
- Both of these teams came into this game with 3 losses, and St Thomas has already had a couple nice wins on the year, so we thought this game may have been an under the radar type matchup. However, Mark Gordon decided to go off and set a school record with 42 points in the game. Gordon was just recently named to the Bevo Francis Award Top 100 finalist list, and deservedly so. We think he is one of the best in the country, and SHOULD even be considered for National Player of the Year. If you haven’t watched him play this year, you really should!
- UC Merced 64 – Simpson (CA) 62
- There was a big time crowd in this game, but UC Merced was unaffected in the 1st half as they hit 5 3’s during a 15-4 run to take a 37-29 half time lead. Simpson was not done though, as they fed off the crowd in the 2H to get momentum, but UC Merced hit just enough big shots to hold on for the win. Mason Westlake had 18 points in the win. Game Recap|Box Score
- We have some new members of the 1k career scoring club to congratulate:
- In Case you missed it, our guy Tad updated the NAIA DII bracket after the latest release of the official Top 25!!
- Again, with Winter Storms, Blizzard Warnings, and Advisories out across much of the Midwest, and Upper Plains, we will do our best to keep everyone updated on game changes!!
Follow us on Social Media