By Jake Pommerer
- The 22nd ranked Bellevue Bruins dropped a tough contest to (RV) Briar Cliff on Friday night 81-The Bruins were led in scoring by Jemeil King with 16 points he also had 5 assists. The Bruins dropped a heart breaker the next day to Haskell 90-87 Connor Dukes scored 23 in the loss for the Bruins including 5 3-pointers. The Bruins are back in action next week for one game against Avila University. The Bruins are currently 2-2.
- The Dickinson State BlueHawks who were (RV) in the Preseason poll dropped three games this week. Starting with an exhibition contest at North Dakota State. The BlueHawks then traveled to a Classic in Nebraska where they dropped a pair of games to Concordia (NE) 90-62 Donte Walker led the Bluehawks with 19 points. DSU dropped their next game to Hastings (NE) 84-71 despite having four players in double figures. Dickinson State is back in action Wednesday when they host the 16th ranked University of Jamestown and close out their week on the road at Montana State Northern. Dickinson State is currently 0-2.
- Valley City State University went 0-3 this week and is still looking for their first win of the season. Monday night they dropped a game to their rival 16 the ranked University of Jamestown 104-86 Logan Nelson led VCSU and all scorers with 32 points. The Vikings dropped a tough contest to Dordt College 86-76 Kevin Schramm led the Vikings offensive attack with 22 points. VCSU closed out their week with a loss to Northwestern College 99-68 a game that saw the Vikings commit 21 turnovers. The Vikings will look to get into the win column when theyhost Mount Marty Friday night. The Vikings are currently 0-5 but does have an exhibition win over NCAA D2 Minot State.
- The Mayville State Comets had the best week of any NSAA team. The Comets went 2-0 on the week against some tough GPAC opponents. MSU knocked off Northwestern College 81-57 the Comets had 5 players in double figures led by Simon Ramirez with 16 points off the bench. Mayville backed up the win by upsetting 25 the ranked Dordt College 96-80 Iker Cruz led the Comets with 23 points. Mayville hosts Mount Marty next Saturday night. Mayville State is currently 4-1.
- Viterbo dropped their season opener and lone game this week 74-73 to Mount Mercy. Viterbo missed a game winning shot at the buzzer. Tyree Young led Viterbo with 20 points and pulled in 11 rebounds for a double-double. Viterbo is action three times this week against Holy Family, Dordt College, and Northwestern College. The Vhawks are currently 0-1.
- Waldorf won their lone game this week defeating the Doane Tigers 73-59. Demitrius Martin led the Warriors with 23 points. Martin is currently the leading score in the conference averaging 18.67 points per game. Waldorf is back in action twice this week traveling to Grand View hosting Mount Mercy. Waldorf is currently 1-2.
- Dakota State another team still looking for their first win went 0-3 this week. The Trojans dropped an overtime game to Midland 77-68 Brady Van Holland led Dak State with 21 points off the bench. The Trojans fell to in state rival and 6th ranked Dakota Wesleyan 80-62 Josh McGreal led the Trojans with 15 points. Dakota State finished out their week falling to Mount Marty 65-51. Dakota State is back in action next week taking on Oak Hills Christian and (RV) Briar Cliff. The Trojans are 0-6.
- Presentation College dropped both of their contests this week falling to Mount Marty 90-54, the Saints committed 29 turnovers in the loss Elijah Coleman and Sean Schuring each had 12 points to lead the offensive attack for PC. The Saints dropped their second game of the week to the 6th ranked Dakota Wesleyan Tigers 95-62., freshman Jackson Becker led the Saints in scoring with 12 points. Presentation hosts Oak Hills Christian and (RV) Briar Cliff next weekend. The Saints are 0-4.
The Pommerer Power Rankings
- Bellevue– was picked to win the conference a lot of new faces look for them to only get better.
- Mayville State– Probably the team off to the best start in the conference only loss on the road to #16 Jamestown.
- Dickinson State-lots of talent not a lot of results to go off of yet
- Waldorf- They have a win I think they will be much better than they have in years passed. Their big guy has improved a lot and they currently have the leading scorer in the conference.
- Viterbo-Another team with not a lot to go off of lost a heart breaker
- Valley City– Yet to get a win have played two ranked teams and were in a tight battle with Dordt right to the end. Won an exhibition contest over NCAA D2 team.
- Dakota State- The Trojans have also had a tough start to their season but have played a tough schedule look for them to win a game or to soon to start building momentum.
- Presentation- New coach lots of new faces a younger team that will start to find their way.
Games to Watch This Week
Two games I am keeping an eye on this week inside the North Star include:
(RV) Dickenson State vs #16 University of Jamestown – Nov. 6th, 8:30PM CT
Former conference foe and 16th ranked University of Jamestown comes to town as Dickenson State looks to right the ship, and get their first win.
Mayville State vs Mount Marty – Nov. 9th, 7:30PM CT
The other game to keep an eye on is Mayville State at home vs Mount Marty. Mayville State looks to continue to impress, and Mount Marty already has a road win against NSAA member Waldorf.
Follow us on Social Media